Monday, February 2, 2009

Roger Federer

I have been exposed to tennis for roughly four years, the last two years especially. During this time I have learned three things: 1) I am not naturally good at sports, but tennis is a sport I can work on and do well at with consistent work 2) Tennis is very enjoyable to watch on TV, and 3) Roger Federer is my favorite tennis player.

Roger Federer ("Fed," as I like to call him) was born August 8, 1981 in Switzerland. He plays the piano, speaks English, Swiss German, German and French. He holds 13 Grand Slam titles (the record is 14). Federer took the Wimbledon title five times consecutively. He held the number one position in the world for a consecutive 237 weeks, and currently is ranked number two. Tennis is a "gentleman's game" and Roger Federer is the epitome of tennis. During interviews he presents himself with humble gratitude for his talents, he compliments his fellow tennis players and doesn't dodge the interviewer's questions. When he wins, he wins graciously - he thanks his fans for their support and gives credit where credit is due to his opponents. And when the occasional loss comes his way, Federer is anything but a "poor sport."

Such a loss happened for Fed February 1, 2009 in Melbourne, Australia. It was the Australian Open and he made it to the finals - again. His opponent was Rafael Nadal - again. They have met each other in final matches 18 times, and the Australian Open final made it 19. These two players are considered one of the most famous "rivalries" in sports. Nadal was born June 3, 1986 in Spain. He has won six Grand Slam titles and the Gold medal in 2008 at the Olympics in Beijing. Nadal was the person who dethroned Fed at Wimbledon. Needless to say, he's made Fed's life a little rough this last year.

The men's final was a battle, both opponents playing their best. Federer was hoping to win his 14 Grand Slam title, which would tie him for the world record with Pete Sampras. Nadal won the first set (7/5), Fed took the second (6/3), then back to Nadal to win the third (7/6), then Fed took the fourth (6/3). Then, the fifth and final set, Nadal won the match (6/2). I thought Fed had it all the way until the fifth set. For some reason, his mind played games, and it cost him the game.

During the award ceremony, Federer cried freely. As he accepted his runner up award and approached the microphone to speak, he couldn't. He cried and showed to the world with his tears how disappointed he was in this loss. He actually stepped back from the microphones and didn't address the audience. Then Nadal was awarded his men's champion award, but before he could say anything, Fed and Nadal shared a hug and then Fed came to speak again. He said he couldn't be the one to have the last word because Nadal deserved it. Fed continued to give his heartfelt address and ended with, "See you next year." Then Nadal gave his speech. He was gracious in his win and I respect him more for his comments. He apologized to Fed (not necessarily for winning, but rather to see Fed's pain in losing), and encouraged Fed that he will reach his number 14 Grand Slam title.


Roger Federer will always be my favorite tennis player, even after he retires. He is young and so good at the game that I have no doubts in his ability to continue winning Grand Slam tournaments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did this double as an assignment for a class? j/k Well put I also feel that sports and players that are "gentlemen" as you described it should get all the attention.

Unknown said...

We followed this match closely as well. Tennis was on at my house 24/7 last week. I personally liked Verdasco and wanted him to beat Nadal. He is so cute. Anyways, It was a little sad to see federer lose. I didn't know he was born in 81. He is my age...wahoo...still young and having fun right?